Thursday, May 28, 2009

Another Dork Moment

I don't know when we moved to Seattle, but apparently it happened sometime last week. I'm sure it was a Harry Potter operation. They moved my entire house, the yard, even my neighbors! Amazing what a magic wand and some nifty, rhyme-y spells will do.

I just will not stop raining here!

So me and my umbrella were getting out of the car once I arrived at work late because of traffic. You know the weather is bad when I'M stuck in traffic, and my commute is only 10 miles.

I have one of the cool umbrellas that opens with the click of a button. I guess it's not really that cool, because almost all umbrellas are like that today. But I remember when we poor souls had to push the little do-hicky in and manually push the umbrella up until you hear the click. It really s*cked when you had a paper cut on your thumb. Of course, this was back in the day when I walked to school, uphill both ways, in the pouring ran with no shoes - sniff, sniff, I had such a tough life.

I usually open the door, stick my arm out and open the umbrella above the door so the rest of me doesn't get wet. Not today!

I hit the button as I was grabbing my purse. INSIDE THE CAR! I had the umbrella positioned in a way that it opened all the way and flipped my glasses off. It was like a reverse airbag.

I'm such a dork - again.

Silver Lining:
1. The umbrella closes as easily as it opens.

2. There wasn't anyone in the parking lot so I didn't get a lot of sh*t for it. Although, I'm totally going to get it from all of you. At least it won't be to my face :)

15 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Lillian Robinson said...

Ah, another kindred soul! How did you defy Murphy's Law? I thought the dorkiness of one's actions was in direct proportion to the number of witnesses? I guess it includes e-witnesses...

cherieZ said...

So you are the cause of all this rain??? (read your post again!!!)LOL
My husband thanks you...he doesn't have to move the lawn!!

Unknown said...

LOLOLOL...reverse air bag! perfect discription

tracy

Michelle said...

Sounds just like something I would do, don't worry, hehe :)

Jenn said...

ha ha ha...I am not laughing at you but with you because it is just the sort of thing that happens to me (on a daily basis not just when it's raining!). Of course, I don't have the guts to blog about it...so many kudos to you there. Oh well...one of these days us Dorks need to have a convention for some comic relief. --Jenn

Pollyanna said...

Thanks for all the support!

If I didn't revel in my dork-dom, I wouldn't have as much reason to laugh. I have these moments everyday, but don't always have time to write about them. Then, there are the other people in my life who have dorkier moments. In those cases they get the floor :)

Hannah said...

Dig it! I have done that too :)

Ziggy Stardust said...

I am a clutz and I enjoy knowing these kind of stories

Anne

SquirrelQueen said...

Been there, done that but usually with witnesses.
SQ

anymommy said...

You just gave me one decent reason to be happy that most of our precipitation shows up as snow!

- Jan - said...

see ... you have made me laugh again. thanks so much. Well not for the dorkiness, but just for telling the story :)

Anonymous said...

OMG that was one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. I can picture it happening as you are describing it. I was waiting for what happened to me..as I opened the door one dreadful dreary morning at work and managed to stick my arm out only to open the umbrella for a gust of wind to whip it right out my hand - well so much for staying dry and I chased my umbrella across the parking lot, thankfully it hit no cars but I got soaked! That umbrella got retired as it was quite damaged and no good to me. Thanks again for a great a laugh and something I can relate to. - Danny

Pollyanna said...

Ha, Ha!

So, was it like Mary Poppins, but without a person attached?

amber @amberpagewrites said...

Ha! That's totally something I would do. Although in my case, it would be followed by me falling out of my car, landing on my face...at the feet of my worst enemy. I'm lucky like that. Thanks for the laugh!

Jenny said...

LMFAO that is funny.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin